The Bulgarian-American Commission for Educational Exchange offers a 3-5 month research scholarship for leaders and representatives of Bulgarian NGOs working for the development of civil society. 1 or 2 grants are awarded annually in open competition supervised by binational selection committees.
The stipend includes round trip, monthly maintenance, settling-in allowance, health insurance. Applicants are required to provide an invitation letter from a U.S. non-governmental organization or a university.
- Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must have Bulgarian citizenship. Green card holders and persons with dual (Bulgarian and US) citizenship are ineligible.
- Applicants must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree.
- Applicants must show proficiency in English, appropriate to the proposed research project.
- Applicants must be in good health.
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, or sex.
- Application form (please use the standard web-based Fulbright Visiting Scholar application at https://iie.embark.com/apply/visitingscholars);
- Three letters of reference (can be submitted online or sent directly to the Fulbright Commission office);
- Letter of invitation from a prospective host institution (scanned and attached to the online application);
- Copies of original academic transcript and degree certificate from each university or post-secondary institution (scanned and attached to the online application).
- All items should be translated into English.
- All supplementary documents should be submitted as scanned attachments in the online application form. Only reference letters that are not submitted electronically can be mailed to the Commission.
The Fulbright Commission will advise applicants to submit a medical history and examination report if and when necessary.
Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person and take place during the second half of June. Date and time are fixed.