Fulbright Poland together with Fulbright Commissions based in Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania and Slovak Republic invites you to apply for cybersecurity study visits in the US. A visit in a hybrid format, designed for university representatives, will be organized between March and June 2021 (see tentative framework below).*
*Please note: The COVID-19 pandemic continues to pose limitations on international travel, a threat to everybody’s health and raises the level of uncertainty about the possibility of running an in-person program as originally designed. A hybrid approach to the program means there will be 2 components – an online and an in-person one, together covering the draft program and learning objectives stated in the original plan.
We welcome applications from scholars representing universities that have cybersecurity programs (or with a program near to open).
Recruitment criteria & eligibility:
- Both public and private universities are invited to apply.
- Participants from the following countries are eligible to apply: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Slovak Republic.
- Applicants with English command at a minimum B2 level can apply.
- Universities that plan to establish new, well-designed cybersecurity programs and/or foster the development and strengthening of already existing ones.
- Applicants with strong academic and/or professional background in the field, position allowing actual influence on the cybersecurity program conducted or planned at their institution and a strong motivation to work on that are our priority.
- All else being equal, preference is given to early career scholars.
- To acquaint participants with the scope of cybersecurity studies conducted in the US, the catalogue of specializations and most common course content/curriculum,
- to showcase several examples of successful cybersecurity Ms/ Bs/ certification programs run by distinguished US universities,
- to reflect upon best practices in organizing and running cybersecurity programs,
- to discuss the most current challenges in cybersecurity and studies devoted to the subject,
- to familiarize the group with the latest developments in cybersecurity.
The program of the visit features:
- Online component: 16 online meetings extended over a 4-month period (March-June 2021). The schedule presumes one 3-hours long session per week (afternoon hours).
- Meetings with faculty: Meetings with several universities’ faculty and administrators of cybersecurity programs (i.e. Marymount University, Virginia Tech)
- Training: A training program at Marymount University (hybrid format: online and in-person components)
- Highlights* expected to be included: University of California Berkeley and/or Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the big five tech companies headquarters (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or Google).
- Meetings with practitioners: Meetings with practitioners in the field of cybersecurity – both business and state-related entities, Meeting are expected in online and in-person formats.
- In-person component: an 8 days visit to the US East coast in September 2021.
*Please note: We do not guarantee meetings with entities explicitly named here. Efforts will be made to secure the specified meetings but in some cases suitable alternatives may be arranged. Meetings will be held in both components – online and in-person. Due to the pandemic we reserve the right to call off international travel and in-person components.
The final program will be tailored to the specific needs of the recruited group.
The program is offered free of charge and with following costs covered by the organizers: insurance, visa costs, flights to/from the U.S., hotels, meals and incidental expenses while in the US. Participants are required to cover local transportation costs in their own countries if necessary, personal expenses and miscellaneous. The program is conducted entirely in English with no translation provided.
To apply for cybersecurity study visit please fill in the online application form: https://form.jotform.com/200704780181045
The deadline for application is on December 20, 2020 at 23:59 CET (Central European Time).
The list of successful applicants will be published online.
You can download a PDF version of the application form here to go through the list of questions. Please note:
- the PDF file is for reference only – applications have to be submitted via Jotform.com,
- you are expected to provide us with a list of 3 persons (+contact details) whom we can ask for recommendations,
- you are expected to upload a letter of support from a supervisor at your home university describing plans for opening cybersecurity program, if your university does not have one yet,
- successful applicants will travel to the U.S. on J-1 short-term visas which are subject to specific requirements and restrictions, please see information online.
The program is organized in partnership with two U.S.-based entities: World Learning Inc. and Marymount University and funded by the U.S. Department of State.