Senior Scholar Grants in the U.S.
The Bulgarian-American Commission for Educational Exchange "Fulbright" is the institution authorized to administer the program for U. S. Government supported grants to Bulgarian scholars and professionals for research and lecturing in the United States. These grants are awarded in open competition supervised by binational selection committees.
Grants last up to 5 months and are awarded in all fields of study except clinical medicine and dentistry.
- Bulgarian citizenship; green card holders and persons with dual (Bulgarian and US) citizenship are ineligible.
- Doctoral degree.
- Proficiency in English appropriate to the proposed lecturing or research project.
- Good health. Selected applicants are required to submit Medical History and Examination Report.
- A minimum of four years after completion of previous Fulbright grant.
General Selection Criteria
- Priority is given to academic and scholarly experience and achievement.
- English language proficiency is important, but is not overemphasized to the detriment of other selection criteria.
- Adaptability and personal suitability.
- Applicants should be representative and responsible citizens who contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of Bulgaria.
- Preference is generally given to applicants who have not had prior opportunities for lecturing or research in the U.S.
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and sex.
- Applications are subject to pre-screening.
- Evaluation of projects is carried out by leading Bulgarian and U.S. scholars in the respective fields. Emphasis is placed on feasibility, usefulness and potential contribution to the objectives of the program.
- Candidates recommended by reviewers are invited for an interview conducted by a binational nomination committee.
- Nominees are subject to final approval by the Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB).
- Application form (the web-based Fulbright Visiting Scholar application is located at apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/scholars);
- Three letters of reference (can be submitted online or sent directly to the Fulbright Commission office);
- Letter of invitation from a prospective host institution (scanned and attached to the online application);
- Copies of original academic transcript and degree certificate from each university or post-secondary institution (scanned and attached to the online application);
- Copies of doctoral and other qualifying degree certificates (scanned and attached to the online application).
All items should be translated into English.
All supplementary documents should be submitted as scanned attachments in the online application form. Only reference letters that are not submitted electronically can be mailed to the Commission.
The Fulbright Commission will advise applicants to submit a medical history and examination report if and when necessary.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS FOR AY 2014-2015: May 7, 2013
Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person and take place during the first half of June. Date and time are fixed.
For more information please contact:
The Bulgarian-American Fulbright Commission
17, Alexander Stamboliiski Blvd., Sofia 1000
Program Officer, Bulgarian Grantees
1st floor, Room 9
Tel. (+ 359 2) 980 8212
Visiting hours: Monday-Friday, 2:00–4:00 PM