Educational Advisor Needed
The Bulgarian Fulbright Commission is seeking to hire a new Educational Advisor.
Why Fulbright Bulgaria
Join a leading organization in the field of international education! The Bulgarian-American Fulbright Commission administers the US Department of State’s largest and most prestigious program for international educational and cultural exchange, active in 160+ countries around the globe. The Bulgarian Fulbright Commission was founded in 1993, and since then more than 1500 scholars, students, educators, professionals, artists and NGO representatives have taken part in our exchanges between Bulgaria and the United States.
Fulbright Bulgaria is seeking a new team member to help promote American higher education and increase the number of Bulgarian students in the United States through providing clear, up-to-date and detailed information about the opportunities to study at accredited colleges and universities in the US. We are looking for someone with interest and experience in the field of education to help us reach wider and more diverse audiences. This is a full-time position based in Sofia, Bulgaria, with the possibility of hybrid/remote work.
Bulgarian and U.S. grantees to date
Bulgarian educational institutions have hosted an ETA
Bulgarian grantees in the U.S. for 2022-23
About the position
As an Educational Advisor for Fulbright Bulgaria you will play a vital role in sharing information about the US university application process with Bulgarian high school and university students via in-person presentations, webinars, online content and one-on-one advising sessions. Every day you will work to improve information and access to financial aid opportunities for Bulgarian students studying in the US.
We take a hands-on, proactive approach to supporting Bulgarian students in their quest to find their best-fit American educational institution. To this end, you will be interacting with not only Bulgarian students themselves, but their teachers, schools, and parents, as well as our diverse network of partner organizations, including the US Embassy in Bulgaria and the Bulgarian Ministry of Education, as well as numerous NGOs and organizations in the field of education.
The Role's Responsibilities
- Coordinating the EducationUSA program for Bulgarian high school students interested in undergraduate study in the US, including online and in-person outreach and information/advising sessions
- Coordinating the Opportunity Funds program for talented low-income Bulgarian high school students, including online and in-person outreach, information/advising sessions and organization of training camps
- Coordinating the recruitment and outreach campaign for Fulbright Bulgarian Leaders Grants for self-placed MA/PhD study at US universities, including online and in-person outreach and information/advising sessions
- Administrative support for the Fulbright Bulgarian Leaders Grant program, including organization of interview process, selection process and pre-departure information
- Supporting student preparation for application to US universities with information about American standardized tests (GRE, GMAT, SAT, TOEFL, etc), essay writing best practices, and financial aid documentation
- Representing Fulbright and EducationUSA at educational fairs and other events in Sofia and around the country
- Working with the Fulbright Bulgaria team on Commission-wide initiatives and events
Orientation for U.S. Grantees
Staff Retreat, Blagoevgrad
Qualifications and requirements
- Excellent communication and presentational skills in both English and Bulgarian
- Relevant higher education degree (ideally from a US college or university)
- A minimum of one year of work/professional experience in the field of education
- Experience with international education exchange
- Ability to work independently, under tight deadlines and with attention to detail
- Ability to offer creative and innovative ideas and solutions to challenges
Join us to make dreams come true! a difference! yourself proud!
Benefits and other details
– Join the most prestigious organization for educational exchange between Bulgaria and the U.S.
– Work in a small team of dedicated, good-humored individuals where staff turnover is virtually zero.
– Professional and personal development opportunities, including international training seminars in the US and Europe.
– Possibility for flexible working hours and location, including options for partial remote work/home office.
– Competitive salary and benefits package.
Note: The Fulbright Bulgaria Educational Advisor position is a full-time role that requires frequent domestic travel and occasional international travel.
Programs relevant to the position
Opportunity Funds Bulgaria
Through EducationUSA, a program sponsored by Fulbright and the Embassy in Sofia, each year hundreds of virtual participants receive advising services in preparation for undergraduate study in the United States. The Opportunity Funds Program – Bulgaria is a scholarship established in 2016 supporting highly qualified but financially disadvantaged 11th graders with preparatory courses as they apply to four-year colleges in the U.S., followed by a $5000 stipend.
Fulbright Bulgarian Leaders
Fulbright Bulgaria is offering grants to top US universities to support Bulgarian MA and PhD students who will return to Bulgaria to build the country’s capacity in the academic, public and private sectors. Bulgarian students who apply independently and gain acceptance to US universities ranked in the top 15 graduate programs for their academic field by US News and World Report will be eligible for Fulbright Bulgarian Leaders Grants.