Bulgarian citizenship, Evidence of English language proficiency (TOEFL, GRE/GMAT scores).
- Applicants must have Bulgarian citizenship. Green card holders and persons with dual (Bulgarian and US) citizenship are ineligible.
- Applicants must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree and be able to submit the official diploma by September 1, 2022.
- Evidence of English language proficiency (TOEFL, GRE/GMAT scores).
- Applicants should be in sound health.
- Candidates already studying in the U.S. are ineligible for a Fulbright grant.
- Candidates who have resided in the United States for five or more consecutive years during the six-year period preceding the date of application are ineligible for a Fulbright grant.
General Selection Criteria
Application form, three references, diplomas and qualifications
- Excellent academic record.
- High scores on the American standardized tests and other qualifying academic and professional experience.
- Adaptability and personal suitability.
- Applicants should be representative and responsible citizens who contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of Bulgaria.
- Preference is given to applicants who have not had a prior opportunity for studying in the U.S.
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and sex.
Оценката се извършва от водещи специалисти в съответните области
- Applications are subject to pre-screening.
- Evaluation of study projects is carried out by Fulbright alumni and leading Bulgarian and U.S. scholars in the respective fields.
- Candidates recommended by reviewers are invited for an interview conducted by a binational nomination committee.
Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person and take place during the second half of June. Date and time are fixed.
- Nominations are announced in early July.
- Nominees are subject to final approval by the Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB).
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the U.S. and participate in academic programs.
Non-Degree Research Programs for Doctoral Students
Fulbright Bulgaria gives the opportunity to young researchers in advanced stages of their PhD studies to work in elite universities and institutes in the USA. Candidates from all areas of studies are eligible except clinical medicine and dentistry. The program covers 6 months of funding. One or two grants are supported each year.
The candidates are selected at an annual selection procedure which is announced every academic year. The application deadline is December of the following year. All interviews with the short-listed candidates are held in the middle of December and each of them is personally informed in advance about the date and time of the interview.
The interview dates are fixed and are not subject to changes or additional options.
Deadline for submitting applications for the academic 2023-24: N/A
Why should you apply
You get funding for your tuition
Qualification opportunities from an elite US university
Educational and cultural exchange
Networking opportunities with top experts in your field of expertise
Excellent career prospects
Other Grants and Scholarships
Scholars and researchers
Five grants are supported every year. Application deadline in December.
Graduate students (MA and PhD)
Funding for one academic year. Last application deadline 20 May, 2022.
3-5-month grant for research activities on matters related to civil society.
Grants for mid-career professional on managerial or expert positions. Application deadline: 12 September 2022
Grant for mathematicians
This grant is available for scholars in the field of Mathematics who acquired their PhD no longer than 10 years ago.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Fulbright graduate study grant cover?
The Fulbright graduate study grant offers up to USD 37,000 toward tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year (10 months). The Fulbright grant covers travel costs (round-trip) and includes a US Department of State health insurance plan for exchange visitors.
How many Fulbright awards are granted annually to Bulgarian graduate students?
Between 6 and 8 Fulbright graduate student awards are offered annually.
Какъв е статутът ми?
Стипендиантите в тази програма имат статут на “Visiting Researchers” (гостуващи изследователи). Това означава, че не могат да записват курсове, но могат да ползват библиотека, да посещават отворени лекции и най-вече, да работят в сътрудничество с американския си научен ръководител.
Is there an exclusive list of US universities the Fulbright program works with?
The Fulbright Commission works with a large number of accredited, high-ranking private and public universities in the U.S.
For information on US universities offering graduate programs, you can consult our useful resources section, esp. www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/grad-search-by-subject.aspx and grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools.
Как да получа покана от американски университет и какво трябва да включва тя?
Пишете на Ваши американски колеги с молба да Ви приемат като гостуващ изследовател за периода на Фулбрайтовия престой. Важно е да им обясните, че университетът няма да има финансови задължения към Вас, ако спечелите стипендията. Съветваме Ви да потърсите най-сходните по тематика и направление научни колективи, тъй като това повишава шанса за получаване на покана.
Поканата трябва да бъде издадена от името на катедра или факултет на официална бланка. Тя трябва да потвърждава, че учебното заведение е съгласно:
- да приеме докторанта за посочения период (начална и крайна дата)
- да предостави достъп до библиотеки и източници на информация
- да определи научен ръководител
Изисква ли се езиков тест?
Да. Езиковото ниво се проверява чрез тест TOEFL, като е препоръчително резултатът да надхвърля 81 т.
How do I register referees?
In the online form you will find a section “references” in the top left corner of the menu bar. Please select this section. In “register referees” please enter the e-mail addresses of your three referees and click submit. This will send electronic invitations with links to the online confidential recommendation forms to the e-mail addresses of your referees. Please make sure in advance that they agree to complete your reference. (In the rare case they do not speak English, they can upload both the Bulgarian version of the recommendation and an English translation into the electronic portal.) Your references will become accessible for review after you have submitted your entire online application.