- Candidates must have Bulgarian citizenship. Green card holders and persons with dual (Bulgarian and US) citizenship are ineligible.
- Candidates must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree.
- English language proficiency (a valid TOEFL score) is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the respective field is required.
- Candidates should be in sound health.
General selection criteria
- Candidates should demonstrate potential for leadership and commitment to public service with an emphasis on national development needs.
- Candidates should demonstrate adaptability and personal suitability.
- Candidates should be representative and responsible citizens who can contribute to a full picture of the culture and civilization of Bulgaria .
- Preference is generally given to candidates who have not had prior professional experience in the U.S.
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation
- Application form: at https://apply.iie.org/huberthhumphrey
- Two letters of reference (can be submitted online or sent directly to the Fulbright Commission office);
- Certified translation into English of verified copies of original academic transcript and degree certificate from each university or post-secondary institution (scanned and attached to the web-based application);
- Certified translation into English of verified copies of doctoral or other qualifying degree certificates (if applicable) (scanned and attached to the web-based application);
- Valid TOEFL scores.
Submitting TOEFL scores by October 1, 2022 is considered an advantage.
- All items should be translated into English.
- All supplementary documents should be submitted as scanned attachments in the online application form. Only reference letters that are not submitted electronically can be mailed to the Commission.
The Fulbright Commission will advise applicants to submit a medical history and examination report if and when necessary.
Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person. Date and time are fixed.
The program provides mid-career professionals in the private and public sector with an opportunity for a 10-month non-degree academic and professional training in the following areas:
Agricultural development/Agricultural Economics; Communications/Journalism; Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention; Economic development/Finance and Banking; Educational Administration, Planning and Policy; HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention; Human Resource Management; Law and Human Rights; Natural Resources and Environmental Management; Public Health Policy and Management; Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration; Technology Policy and Management; Trafficking in Persons, Policy and Prevention; Urban and Regional Planning.
The interview dates are fixed and are not subject to changes or additional options.
Deadline for submitting applications for the academic 2023-24: September 12, 2022
Why should you apply
You get funding for you tuition
Qualification opportunity from an elite university in the USA
Educational and cultural exchange
Networking opportunities with top experts in your area of expertise
Career growth prospects
Other grants and scholarships
Scholars and researchers
Five grants are supported each year. You can apply by December.
For young researchers at advanced stages of their PhD studies.
Three-to-five-month grant for research activities on issues related to civil society.
Thanks to Scandinavia
The grant is especially for Bulgarian students (holding at least a BA) and is a token of appreciation from the Jewish community to Bulgaria because of the Jewish salvation in the WWII period.
Grant for Scholars in Mathematics
This grant is for scholars in the field of Mathematics. Applicants need to have aquired their PhD no longer than 10 years ago.