Evidence of English language proficiency (TOEFL, GRE/GMAT scores).
- Bulgarian citizenship; persons with dual citizenship (Bulgarian and American) and work visa/green card holders cannot apply
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken) and a passed iBT TOEFL test with a score of over 81 points
- Passed GMAT test with a minimum score of 650 points
- Completed 4-year bachelor’s degree program and a high grade point average (the bachelor’s degree must be received no later than September 1, 2022)
- No prior training in the field of business administration is required
- Individuals currently studying in the US and those who have lived in the US for 5 consecutive of the last 6 years are not eligible to participate in the competition
- Application form
- Three letters of reference (can be submitted online by instructors, professors or work supervisors, or sent directly to the Fulbright Commission office);
- Academic transcripts/diplomas (certified translation into English of verified copies of original academic transcript and degree certificate – scanned and attached to the application);
- Valid results from American standardized tests: TOEFL and GMAT.
Submitting TOEFL and GRE/GMAT scores by May 20, 2022 is considered a major advantage.
- Nominated candidates shall also provide the Commission with hard copies of the translated and legalized university diplomas and other certificates of additional training/qualification. These documents are non-returnable.
- Final deadline for submitting official test scores: September 15, 2022
- All items should be translated into English.
- All supplementary documents should be submitted as scanned attachments in the online application form. Only reference letters that are not submitted electronically can be mailed to the Commission.
- Nominated candidates will have to submit a copy of the original academic transcript bearing all official legalization stamps to the Fulbright Commission.
The Fulbright Commission will advise applicants to submit a medical history and examination report if and when necessary.
- Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person and take place during the second half of June. Date and time are fixed.
General Selection Criteria
Final approval by the Fulbright International Scholarship Board (FSB)
- Candidates have passed the iBT TOEFL exam with a minimum score of 81 p.
- Candidates have taken the GMAT test with a minimum score of 650 points.
- Candidates show good academic record.
- Prior study in business is NOT a requirement for selection.
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and sex.
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the U.S. and participate in academic programs.
Fulbright scholarships for master’s and doctoral programs
The Bulgarian-American Commission for Educational Exchange “Fulbright” and the Price College of Business at the University of Oklahoma in the city of Norman, Oklahoma, provide a scholarship for a master’s program in business administration. Funding is for a period of two academic years.
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that health conditions, the availability of consular services and international flights, and US institutional operational decisions may affect their ability to travel to the US and participate in the program.
The dates of the interviews are fixed and there is no possibility of additional dates.
Application deadline for the 2023-24 academic year: May 20, 2022
You receive funding for your studies
Possibility of qualification from a prestigious university in the USA
Educational and cultural exchange
Establish contacts with top experts in your field
Opportunity for a successful start or promotion in the career
Scientists and researchers
5 scholarships are awarded each year. Documents are submitted by December.
For young researchers at an advanced stage of full-time or part-time doctoral studies.
Representatives of NGOs
Scholarship (3-5 months) for research activity on civil society issues.
Fellowships are awarded to professionals from all over the world in management or expert positions.
Scholarship for mathematicians
The scholarship is aimed at scholars in the field of mathematics who received their PhD no more than 10 years ago.
Често задавани въпроси
What does the Fulbright graduate study grant cover?
The Fulbright graduate study grant offers up to USD 37,000 toward tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year (10 months). The Fulbright grant covers travel costs (round-trip) and includes a US Department of State health insurance plan for exchange visitors.
How many Fulbright awards are granted annually to Bulgarian graduate students?
Between 6 and 8 Fulbright graduate student awards are offered annually.
Do I have to be admitted to a US university in order to apply for a Fulbright grant?
No. Application for a Fulbright grant precedes application to US universities by one year. Candidates first apply to the Fulbright program. The Fulbright Commission and the Institute of International Education (IIE) arrange placements of grantees on the basis of their preferences, academic credentials, and Commission’s policies.
Is there an exclusive list of US universities the Fulbright program works with?
The Fulbright Commission works with a large number of accredited, high-ranking private and public universities in the U.S.
For information on US universities offering graduate programs, you can consult our useful resources section, esp. www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/grad-search-by-subject.aspx and grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools.
Do I have to complete the preferred institutions section in the online application form?
It is advisable to do so. Please rank your first three preferences, include 3 or 4 additional options in the space provided. When deciding which universities to include, study the relevant program descriptions and consider how closely they fit your academic, professional and research interests.
You can consult your choice with:
- Program Officer Maria Kostova, e-mail: email@example.com mobile: 0879164095
Do I have to submit separate applications if I want to apply for the core Fulbright graduate study grant and for the "Thanks to Scandinavia" grant?
No. In the Fulbright application simply mention your interest in the “Thanks to Scandinavia” grant.
Are TOEFL waivers possible?
No. The TOEFL test is required for ALL candidates in the graduate student category.
If you are unable to submit results by the application deadline, and you are nominated for an award, you will be provided with a test voucher and required to take the TOEFL exam.
Information on the TOEFL test and registration instructions can be found here: www.ets.org/toefl
What TOEFL (iBT) scores should I aim for?
No. For applicants in science and technology, scores above 81 points are desirable. For applicants in law and the humanities, business administration, and economics, scores above 101 points are considered an excellent result.
What TOEFL (iBT) scores should I aim for?
Only applicants in the field of law and non-degree doctoral researchers are exempt from taking GRE or GMAT. Applicants in all other disciplines are expected to submit satisfactory GRE or GMAT results. Presenting test scores prior to the competition deadline is a major advantage.
Information on the GRE test and registration instructions can be found here: www.ets.org/gre
Information on the GMAT test and registration instructions can be found here: www.mba.com
What GRE/GMAT scores should I aim for?
GRE is required for pursuing Masters and PhD programs in all disciplines, except law and business*. High scores in the quantitative section (above 700 or 155 on the new GRE score scale) are important for successful applications in science and technology; high scores in the verbal section (above 600 or 160 on the new GRE score scale) are important for successful applications in the humanities. Applicants in arts and music are not required to score as high on the GRE test.
GMAT is a test required for applicants in business*. GMAT scores over 600 are essential for applications to A grade schools.
*A growing number of schools accept both GMAT and GRE tests for business disciplines. Please consult the website of your preferred programs to confirm the admission requirements.
I am not able to be present at the interview. May I be interviewed via telephone or Skype?
No. Interviews of eligible candidates are conducted in person and take place during the second half of June. Date and time are fixed.
What type of visa is required for the Fulbright program
Fulbright grantees are issued J-1 visas for exchange visitors; their dependents travel on J-2 visas. All grantees are expected to return to their home countries for at least two years at the conclusion of their grant, in compliance with J-visa requirements.
How do I register referees?
In the online form you will find a section “references” in the top left corner of the menu bar. Please select this section. In “register referees” please enter the e-mail addresses of your three referees and click submit. This will send electronic invitations with links to the online confidential recommendation forms to the e-mail addresses of your referees. Please make sure in advance that they agree to complete your reference. (In the rare case they do not speak English, they can upload both the Bulgarian version of the recommendation and an English translation into the electronic portal.) Your references will become accessible for review after you have submitted your entire online application.
How do I submit supplemental forms?
We recommend that all supplemental forms should be scanned and uploaded as PDF files into an “Additional Information” section of the online portal. It is not necessary to send hard copies of the supplemental forms by the deadline. If necessary, the Commission will request the hard copies later on in the application process.